

I am sure this will be the first of many moments of mother's guilt. But on Friday I felt terrible. I came home from a very LONG day at work and LONG week. All I wanted to do was play with Carter on the floor. I got on some comfy clothes and plopped down. My mom called so I was sitting right next to him on the floor and he was trying his hardest to get the phone. He quickly gave up and moved over to the entertainment center. He saw something he wanted and reached one time and...BOOM! He fell...hitting his lip and teeth. I hung up on my mom with out saying goodbye, grabbed my son who was crying without any noise (mother's you know this cry) thinking he would be fine. Only moments later to see lots of blood gushing from his mouth and I didn't see his tooth. I tried to stop the blod w/ a washcloth, which he didn't enjoy and just continued to cry. I brought him outside to calm down which worked long enough to get it to stop bleeding. We gave him a couple ice cubes in a washcloth to suck on which seemed to take his mind off the tragic event. Finally....when he let us look in his mouth and see the DAMAGE...it looks like he slightly chipped his front left tooth and it was hard to see if he pushed it up into his gums a little. We gave him some tylenol and he seemed to do fine.
The next morning I got him out of his bed and found his "Lovey" (A small piece of some soft fabric that he cuddles with) had some small blood stains, so he must have bled some more while he slept. But I was able to get a closer look at his cute mouth. It looks like he chipped his tooth, and a nasty bruise on his gums followed by a fat lip. His tooth doesn't look TOO bad and not sharp. He ate just fine yesterday without any Tylenol, so he is doing just fine.
I think I cried more than he did. I felt terrible, I was sitting right there. It was the icing on the cake to a long rough week. But, we are all doing fine. Chris likes to tell people that "Carter joined a hockey league!" I am sure this is the first of many accidents that come from having a very curious little boy. I just hope that tooth doesn't turn brown or gray. That would just kill me.
4 comments:
congrats!! there is definatly more fun and emotions in the motherhood than on a mission. I thought It couldn't be topped. I haven't gotten too many pictures but lots of spills and asphalt skid marks on the forehead! just wait till he starts walking. hide all the chemicals and shadow to the best of your ability... mine is never enough. someone has got to do the laundry. hope your week is better Carter is a cutie...he looks like his mom!!
Don't moments like that just kill you inside? But they usually live and you just learn what not to do again. Helen has spills all the time. She had one today and quit breathing (from fright and crying so hard) and her face was going gray. Thank goodness the crying started after what seemed forever. Carter will always have great stories to tell and his adult teeth will be just fine.
Oh, poor baby! It reminded me of what happened with Dianne - except those were her permanent teeth! I'm glad he came out of it alright.
~ Jessica
We just had our worst owie yet. Had to go to the doctor and get glued back together. I thought of you and Carter during the whole thing.
Post a Comment