Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sewing is the Best Therapy...

I know that sewing is not for everyone...I am learning that from working with other women at church!  But I have come to truly love it over the years!  I love designing and creating new things that can be used by my kiddos.  It's not only one of my many jobs, it is also my THERAPY!  I have been wanting to make a pair of pants and vest for my boys for some time now.  So I finally made some time this last weekend.
Sure the time was at 9:30pm until 1am but I finished and Eli wore his outfit on Sunday!  I was quite proud of this outfit because despite Eli being fast asleep and no measurements were made, this outfit fit him perfectly---like a glove!!! I am drooling over nautical themes right now so I added that accent for fun.  The vest is actually reversible (forgot to take that picture).  I used a snap press for the buttons which are so easy to snap quickly for one "on the move" toddler.
 The pattern for the vest came from a sweater vest that he wears right now with some added adjustments.  It has some small issues (which I am NOT pointing out), but with Carter's I know where to adjust the pattern.
He was quite "dashing" in his "Daper Dan" outfit with his bow tie from Easter last year that matched perfectly.  Eli must have felt fancy too becaus he had an added "bounce" in his strut that day!  Carter liked Eli's outfit so well he said to me, "Mom...I want a bow tie too."  so I asked, "What color would you like?" and he replied, "I want ORANGE!"  So I guess that is on the list of things to make this week.  Hopefully I can find some more time!

As many know I chose to do cloth diapers (CD) with Eli.  Which turned out to be a wonderful experience and we just loved it!  Mister "sensitive skin" had not a one diaper rash.  So of course we are going to continue with CD with Baby girl. 

However, all we have are boy colored CD.  But buying MORE when I have about 30+ already is not really an option.  But I wanted some "girlie" colors.  So I am hoping to make some to supplement my stash.  Here was my first attempt.

It is a AIO (all-in-one) diaper with the softest fleece on the inside, PUL in the middle, and a cute Heather Bailey cotton fabric on the outside.

The insert lays right inside of the diaper and stays in place with Velcro.  This diaper is made to fit babies 9 lbs -15 lbs.  I was quite happy with my first try and I am now addicted and want to make more.  I have already adjusted the pattern in my head to make these more like my Bum Genius dipes from Eli.  Plus bought some better Velcro that should last through the millions of washes that these cute things go through!

 Can't you just picture a cute bummie in this dipe?!  I am so excited for her to arrive!  Sometimes I try and picture what she may look like.  Then I think back to the arrival of Eli and how much he looked JUST like his brother!!!  And still sometimes does.  So...here is my prediction...a bald, light-haired baby girl...blue eyes...fair skin...that looks just like her hooligan brothers!  I guess that is what happens when Mom and Dad were both bald, fair haired and skinned babies themselves!!!  We LOVE bald babies!
More projects to come...and maybe someday I will get with my business Blog!  I need to keep up to date on that one...Where can I buy more time?!

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

You are amazing. I would probably love to sew, but I just can't commit very much time to it, so I don't even want to start!! ;) Good luck with making more cloth diapers...again...amazing!

Paige said...

Won't you please teach me? I have always wanted to know and have so many dreams of making my own stuff around the house. I am so impressed.