OK, so this was not actually day one...but this was SERIOUS DAY ONE! We have tried before but with little success and the whole novelty wore off quickly. He has used (#1 and #2) the potty a lot since he was 18 months old. But then he decided he didn't want to sit on the potty. But now we are seriously giving it a go again. No more diapers exist. He was in underwear all day today. Yeah, not too successful and several accidents, but we wore them all day. He even woke up dry from about a 3 hr nap. I will keep you posted on our progress, but we are working hard at this one and hope to be successful. If you have any tips, please let me know. I wish I could just snap my fingers and be done. Good things come with patience. And wouldn't it be SOOOOOOOO good to have him out of diapers?!
I am thinking about bribery with a new toy and a sticker chart may work for him. Cause treats DO NOT work at this point. (I guess we have trained him too well) He could care less. Day 2 starts soon...I will let you know how it goes!
5 comments:
haha, I am in the same boat! Just potty trained my boy (but he is almost 3 1/2! yikes!)...but he still has an accident here and there. Many days he did want to go on the potty...but we DID do a sticker chart in which he worked towards a prize....but it has to be something they LOVE, or they won't care....good luck!!!!
sticker chart was the trick for us and it just being the right time. we tried a number of times to get Dylan potty trained....but at the day it just came down to him being completely ready and it was down (mostly) in one week and he was dry at night too in that week. Good luck! I hope he "gets it" quickly for you guys!
I've been potty-training Nolan too! The sticker chart worked great for him, and with 5 stickers he earned a Cars car - his favorite! HE LOVED putting the stickers on the chart after he was successful and loved working for each new car.
Total patience is required! And I did the same thing, ran out of diapers and though "K, we're gonna do this!" SO nice to do my Costco shopping this month and had to only pick up 1 box of diapers for Corynn! $40 SAVED, yeah!!
Just know that all kids are different. Some are super easy (like my little girl) and some are super hard (like my Kyle). We started him "seriously" in February and it took until July before he stopped having accidents (and he was way over 3!). You have to be so patient! Sticker charts work well. We had a party and a present for both our kids when they finished their charts and we kept reminding them. Potty training can be hard, but be consistent and don't give up! He'll get it eventually :) Everyone told me that you never meet a 5 year old who isn't potty trained.
good luck, I have no good tips. Everyone told me boys would take longer and they were right in our case. Cole got it many times, then regressed many times. We tried toys, marble jar, stickers, candy. It took us 7 months or more. My goal was not to have 2 kids in diapers. At least that worked in time!
Post a Comment