Thursday, January 6, 2011

Carter's Food Challenge test with a twist

We found out in September that Carter's RAST test (a blood test that we have checked every year) was almost immeasurable.  Which meant that the Dr thought we were doing all the right things by completely staying away from egg and that he likely was outgrowing the allergy all together.  He was almost positive that if he was to eat egg that he would not react.  So he recommended a "Food Challenge Test" where you eat the allergic food in their office under observation. 

So the BIG day was yesterday January 5th at 1:15pm.  We were longing for this day with the hopes that all the food restrictions would be lisfted and my anxiety could be lessened.  We got a sitter for Eli as we knew that we would be there for close to 3 hours.  I cooked up about 2 cups of eggs and headed to their office.  Dr. Leflein is our Dr., a very pleasant man.  We got into an exam room and the test began.  First was just a teeny tiny piece of egg.  We waited 20 minutes and they returned to check hi heart rate and his skin for any reactions.  This went on for 2 hours gradually increasing the amount of egg he was to eat.  Things went GREAT!!!  He loved eggs and no reaction.  The Dr. and Carter and I were thrilled!  He told us we no longer needed to carry an epi pen and that he had indeed out grown the egg allergy.  Carter ran out of the office and down the LONG hallway so very happy with the news.

Here's the twist...we get in the car and start our journey home and he says to me from the back seat, "Mom my throat has something stuck in it...it tickles!"  I became somewhat alarmed as that is a sign of an allergic reaction to foods.  But I gave him a drink and watched his breathing closely.  He stopped complaining.  Then he said, "Mom I am going to puke!  My stomach hurts!"  I told him that we needed to run to the Post Office really quickly and he replied, "OK, I will just puke there!"  We ran our errand and no puke, but the stomach complaints continued! 

We had a mutual activity for Young Men and Women so we were heading to church.  I got him dressed and we headed out to church.  While at church his face got reddened and his eyes became puffy and red.  He started itching his bum, neck and ears.  He hands became swollen and very red.  This all happened very quickly.  We rushed him home gave him Benadryl, a warm bath and a blessing.  He continued to itch like CRAZY and evey broke the skin on certain areas of his bosdy.  I found some steroid cream from the last time he had an allergic reaction to something on his legs and I applied that to the areas.  It was the worst hives he has ever had.  In his armpits, on his bum, around his neck, in his ears, on his chest, around his belly button and waist, and many in random spots.



I did not add the pictures of his bum.  But let's just say that was the WORST spot of them all. 

So ~6 hours afterthe egg challenge test he broke out into hives.  Hence, Carter is still allergic to eggs.  Delayed as it may be he is still allergic!  We were all disappointed about the whole thing.  But what broke my heart was when he woke up this morning and said, "Mom, my itchies are all gone, I can have eggs now!!!"  and when I told him that was NOT the case tears started to stream.  He was so sad!  The Dr was very surprised by his reaction and said we could test again down the road.  Let's just say I am in no hurry after the scare we had last night.  My poor baby!

No comments: