Sunday, January 24, 2010

Fetal Echo Results

                                    
 Monday January 18th I had my fetal echocardiogram at DCH (Detroit Children's Hospital) downtown Detroit.  Unfortunately my insurance would not let me get this procedure done in Ann Arbor MI (15 minutes from home) instead I had to travel over an hour to Detroit.  Nonetheless, I was glad I had medical insurance.

I waited in the waiting room for an hour and then spent about an hour with the tech and Dr.  The baby was very active as they were bugging him.  It was hard to "count the leaflets" as the Dr put it.  He suspects that his heart is totally normal top to bottom, however he did find something that made him hesitant to completely rule out a bicuspid aortic valve.  It is hard to explain and especially since I am NOT a cardiologist I will spare the details.  But end of story, he wants to see the new baby after a week of life and perform another echocardiogram just to make sure.  The Dr said he may be hypersensitive as he knows Carter has a bicuspid aortic valve and so they are trying to find one on this baby as well, but that he may not have one at all.  But the baby is fine and all looks good, no changes in delivery plans and nothing to worry about hopefully.  We will just see once he arrives and we can do another echo.

I am curious to see what my OBGYN has to say once he gets the report.  But I just pray that all is well and that we have nothing to worry about.  I also think to myself, maybe many of us have small abnormalities with our organs/hearts that we just never know about because we don't see any symptoms.  As Carters congenital heart defect is not bothering him at ALL and we don;t expect that it will, we just happened to look into a seemingly simple heart murmur.  And this baby is only getting his heart looked at because of his big brother.  I am just excited for this little guy to get here.

No comments: